4.11.2011

Braids



A month ago I went to go see Baths at the Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco. I have been listening to Baths since my friend Kyra introduced it to me last summer. I missed the first opener (sorry, forgot the name but heard they were super cheesy) but luckily I was able to get there in time to catch Braids...
To be perfectly honest, I was more tickled by the opener Braids than Baths.
I actually ended up seeing Braids, yet again, open for Toro Y Moi at the Great American and was still impressed.

So a little about Braids,
Consist of four young people from Calgary, Canada that formed an art rock band together. Kanine Records released their album , who’ve put out records by Grizzly Bear, Chairlift, and Surfer Blood. Drowned in Soundcloud described it perfectly saying, "It does them a disservice but most coverage mentions them as the female-fronted Canadian Animal Collective but there’s something else going on amongst their record that has a little bit more heart and soul than Merriweather - they make me think more of Bjork’s Homegenic record and at times they have the grandeur of Blonde Redhead. There’s also a Joanna Newsom cuteness to the vocals, which seems sort of at odds with the mathiness of the widdly guitars."

BRAIDS - "Lemonade" by BRAIDS

BRAIDS - 'Plath Heart' by SpunkRecords

Braids - Glass Deers by themightyhealthy

Braids - Same Mum by LifeBoxset.com

No comments:

Post a Comment